France has always been a top tourist destination in Europe perhaps even one of the top destinations in the world. People from all over the globe travel to the little country each year to enjoy authentic French culture, world-class cuisine, stunning scenery and top attractions and there is more to France than Paris.
Situated in eastern France, about a five-hour drive from Paris, is the town of Thones which is located in the Haute-Savoie area of the Auvergne Rhone-Alpes region. The population of Thones is just under 7,000 people but the greater area that includes the district of Annecy, which is only fifteen kilometres away, makes the population of the whole region a little higher than that. The Fier River runs through Thones and the town is known for being the capital of Reblochon and Chevrotin cheeses which are local favorites. It’s also know for its attractions and abundance of things to do. Below are some of the things to do in thones france:
Is the highest mountain around Lake Annecy at 7,700 feet and it features spectacular views of the nearby peaks and the lake below.
This is a picturesque lake where visitors can participate in a range of water sports including swimming. Due to the fact that the lake has water coming from mountain springs, it is known to be very clean.
This beautiful area features hiking trails that wind through thick forest areas and leads to the summit where visitors experience stunning views of the lake and nearby peaks.
This mountainous area also features hiking trails, a chalet and scenic alpine tundra landscapes.
Site de Morette
A memorial site dedicated to the men and women who died fighting for France in the World War.
Eglise Saint Maurice
As the oldest church in the town of Annecy, Eglise Saint Maurice is a must-see. Built in the 15th century, the Gothic architecture features stunning exteriors and interiors including the beautiful alter.
La Cooperative de Reblochon Fermier
This is the place to go to if you wish to purchase and indulge in the famous cheeses the region is known for.
Aravis Parc D’Aventures
This is the perfect place to take kids as there are numerous outdoor activities and exciting and challenging things for them to do.
Kart Parc De Thones
This is the place to go if a thrilling afternoon of riding go-karts sounds like an afternoon for fun.
Cascade du Nant Debout
These magnificent waterfalls are a must-see and the area around them makes for a lovely afternoon spent in nature. There are look-off points to get the best views of the falls.
Necropole nationale des Glieres
This is a memorial dedicated to Europeans who lost their lives in the fight to free the Glieres.
Ecomuseum of Wood and Forest
Visit a sawmill and learn how it worked and what the main uses of wood were throughout history in the Alps.
Museum space Pays de Thônes
Visit interactive display depicting the history and geography of the landscape from thousands of years ago to the present.
Departmental Museum of Resistance and Deportation
Learn about the history of the French Resistance.
Museum of Apple and Biscantin
Learn about fruit growers and the important work that they do in the area.
Thones Heritage Museum
Learn about the history, geography, culture and people of Thones and surrounding areas through a variety of interactive displays.
1) Visiting prehistoric ruins and excavations
2) Swimming in the public Swimming Pool
3) Enjoying a round of golf at the golf course
4) Playing tennis at the indoor tennis courts
5) Playing Mini-golf
6) Skateboarding at the Skate park
7) Participating in archery
8) Embarking on ATV adventures in and around the town
9) Enjoying Paragliding adventures
10) Catching a movie at the Cinema
There are many events occurring throughout the year in Thones including:
1) The market that takes place every Saturday morning in the downtown area.
2) Fire Festival and Games Festival which take place each summer
3) Nordic Experience and Sully Ski Trail which takes place each winter
4) Aravis Craft Trail which takes place each June
Visitors can also take part in a variety of guided tours of Thones and surrounding areas. Some examples of tours include:
1) A day-long private tour that includes opportunities to discover various areas such as Baux-de-Provence, Saint-Remy, Loumarin and Gordes.
2) A guided walking tour of Annecy
3) Food and drink tours
4) French Alp tours
Food is an important part of French culture and no matter where you are in the country, you can find some of the best food around! Whether you wish to enjoy local cuisine or international options, here is a sample of some of the restaurants that are in and around Thones.
1) El LuLo
2) Restaurant de Commerce
3) La Creperie
A wide range of accommodations is also available to suit every taste and budget including:
1) Fasthotel Thones
2) Hotel du Midi
3) Le Clos Zenon
4) Chalet des Burdines
5) La Ferme
Visitors to Thones should also be aware of the fact that the attractions and things to see and do are not only located in and around the town. There are many other attractions located further away but are worth seeing as well. Here are some of the other nearby places you can check out during your visit:
1) La Clusaz – A ski resort village with nice views and plenty of opportunities to participate in a wide array of winter activities during the colder months and summer activities in the warmer months.
2) Talloires – A top sightseeing area with mountainous views and pretty valleys.
3) Menthon Saint Bernard – Another lovely sightseeing area with a village, lake, mountainous views and a stately 19th-century church.
4) Veyrier du Lac – A village with quaint streets and unique architecture surrounded by mountains and stunning scenery.
Pre Saint Didier Thermal Spa: A Relaxing Spa Retreat in Aosta Valley 52 km / 32 mi
Olympic Museum: Sports Mecca in Switzerland 73 km / 45 mi
Chateau de Chillon: Lake Geneva's Beautiful Fortress 75 km / 46 mi
Chateau de Chillon: Switzerland's Most Visited 75 km / 46 mi
Chillon Castle: Guards the Passage to the Alps 75 km / 46 mi